Saturday, August 20, 2011

The "Best Day" of Caleb's Life...

So, this morning, I took the children to a birthday party at Maxey Park.  You would have thought they were going to Disney World, as excited as they were about the party.  Once we got there and I made pleasantries with all the other mommies, the kids ran off to play and I got to work with the fellow moms with some hard core gossip.  Donivan’s (the birthday boy) party was super hero themed and when his mom told me they had hired some Tech acting students to dress up like Superman and some other hero whose name I don’t remember, I nearly lost my mind with excitement because I’ll tell you what:  My little boy ADORES superheroes.  After about an hour of playing, a lady arrived and told us it was time to gather the children around a little yellow table so the superheroes could enter.  I helped herd all of the children around the table and once everyone was settled, and fellow mommies and myself were plopped on the grass around all of our offspring, the lady began an introduction.
“Who likes superheroes?” she asked the kids.  Caleb roared louder than anyone, which was his way of vocalizing that he does in fact, like superheroes.  She gave all of the kids a chance to go around and say who their favorite superhero was.  Makayla said “Super Girl,” whoever that is.  Caleb roared and bellowed, “Ironman!” while demonstrating muscles.  The lady then asked the adults and naturally, I was the first one she asked.
“Who is your favorite superhero, Mom?” she asked.
“Batman and if ninjas are also superheroes, then also Donatello.”
The next mom responded, “My husband is my favorite superhero.”
The other moms said something similar, saying their kids, their dads, their husbands, whatever.  In the end, I was the only mother who didn’t pretend that various loved ones are cooler than actual, real bonafide superheroes and I wasn’t sorry at all.  Poser mothers.
Then the lady asked the kids if they would like to meet some real life super heroes.  She told all of the kids to cheer and the superheroes would come if they cheered loud enough and I caught Caleb with his head tilted back, looking up in the sky.
“What are you doing?” I whispered to him.
“When are they gonna fly down?” he asked.
The lady pressed a button on some advanced music contraption and glorious music erupted from it, which startled me, because the entire time, I had figured the thing was some sort of recording device. 
And then Superman and some dude dressed in blue superhero garb started walking towards the group.  Superman’s cape was billowing in wind as he and the unknown hero walked superhero style up to the children.  And my son LOST HIS MIND. 
“I didn’t know superheroes were REAL!” he cried, “Mommy, LOOK!  It’s SUPERMAN!”
Superman and the unknown hero approached the group, gave some enthusiastic greetings, and started telling everyone what a fun day we would all be having.  Caleb’s eyes were huge and his mouth was wide open and said, “Mommy?  Can he FLY?”
“I’m sure he can son,” I told him.
Superman explained his alien situation and how he’s allergic to kryptonite and then fell to his knees, gasping for breath, and his friend said, “Oh no!  There is kryptonite over there!  We must pick it up and put it in a bucket and get it away from Superman!”
“I’m so…weak,” Superman gasped, and Caleb let out a cry of horror.
“Oh my GOD!” he screamed, “Superman!  Are you OK Superman?  Mommy is he dead?”
I was trying to comfort and shush him while moms and the other super hero lined the kids up, gave the children special tongs, and instructed them to pick up green jewel like things off the grass (the kryptonite) and put it in a bucket with the tongs.
“Once the kryptonite is in the bucket, Superman will be strong again!” the unknown hero said.
Caleb was having a fit.
“Save him, Mommy!  We have to save him!”
“Bubba, do you see how the kids are picking up that green stuff and putting it in the bucket?  Once all that green stuff is away from Superman, he will be all better.”
Before I could do anything, Caleb bolted from his place in line, ran to the green jewels, and started hurling them as far as his little arms could throw. 
“I’ll save you Superman!” he shrieked.  Makayla, who thought the green jewels were actual poison, became hysterical.
“Don’t touch it with your hands Bubba!” I heard her scream, as I went to retrieve Caleb, “Bubba it will KILL you!  It’s poison!”
We had to put the game on hold while the other moms laughed too hysterically to take pictures and the other superhero and I retrieved the stones Caleb had hurled away.
“It’s just a game, Bubba,” I said, “It’s just for fun.  Wait your turn in line and then see how fast you can pick up the green jewels and put them in the bucket.” 
I looked back at Superman and saw him shaking with laughter and Donivan’s mom was wiping tears from her eyes from laughing so hard.  At least when my kids ruin a birthday party game and make a scene, it’s somewhat humorous.
After Superman’s strength was back, Caleb walked up to him and said, “Did you die?  Did you see my Uncle Shoni?”
Superman played it off well and said, “No sir, young man.  You and your friends saved me.”
“Well then can you pick me up and let’s go fly, Superman?” Caleb asked as he extended his arms.
“I cannot fly today because it is Donivan’s birthday and I promised him I would stay here,” Superman said.
“Then will you pick me up anyway?” Caleb asked.
Superman obliged and tossed Caleb in the air a few times to make him, “fly.”
Not wanting the birthday boy to have his Superman hogged by my son, I said, “Let’s let Donivan play with Superman for now, Bubba.  Come on and let’s go play the other games.”
“Hey Superman,” Caleb said as Superman put him down, “I don’t want to play those games, Superman.  I want to play with you.  Want to go see my house, Superman?”
“I promise, I will play with you after the games are done,” Superman said, “I will play with all of the kids after cake, on the playground.”  Then Superman bent down, and said to Caleb softly, “I promise I will play with you but it is Donivan’s birthday and since it is his special day, we have to see what Donivan wants to do.  But I promise, I will play with you too.”
I was impressed by this and confused as to why, even after I basically pulled Caleb off Superman, Donivan wanted nothing to do with the Superheroes but was terrified of them.  I felt less guilty about Caleb being so adamant about being best friends with Superman.  The entire party, through games, cake, and presents, Caleb followed Superman around.  He asked to wear his cape.  He asked if he could come live with us.  He wanted to know where he got his “cool underwear.”  I kept trying to pry him off of Superman but Donivan’s mom eventually said, “You might as well let him, Jess.  Donivan is terrified of him and after what I paid, I want at least someone to get some enjoyment out of this.”
So Superman pushed Caleb on the swings, caught him when he went down slides, and ran around the playground with him.  Once Donivan and the other kids saw Superman and Caleb having such a blast, they started warming up and Superman organized a game of hide and seek.  The mothers and I sat on the bench and marveled at his muscles.  At the end of the party, as we walked to the car, Caleb looked up at me and said, “This was the bestet day of my whole entire life, Mommy.”
I could understand that statement because even though I am twenty four and not four, if Batman or Donatello was pushing me on swings and playing chase and hide and seek with me, I would feel the EXACT same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment